The following are some of the preventative measures individuals with SCI can take to reduce the incidence of AD:
- avoid irritating/noxious stimuli
- establish regular bowel and bladder care
- regular pressure relief
- monitor skin (turn every 2 hrs)
- nail care
- Topical anaesthetic before catheterizing or bowel care (Lidocaine gel)
- Local anaesthesia prior to diagnostic procedures eg: cystoscopy, gastroscopy
- Consider using medications before sexual activity, electroejaculation, or other unavoidable triggers such as Nifedipine 10 mg po.
View the testimonial below regarding the prevention of AD.